- 1985: Master's degree in Physics, University of Münster WWU
- 1989: PhD degree in Phonetics, University of Cologne UniKöln, Advisor: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Georg Heike
- 1997: Postdoctoral Lecture Qualification ("Habilitation") in Phonetics, University of Cologne UniKöln
- 1987-1990: Research Associate, Department of Phonetics (Head: Prof. Dr. G. Heike), University of Cologne
- 1990-1998: Assistant Professor, Department of Phonetics (Head: Prof. Dr. G. Heike), University of Cologne
- 1999-2000: Guest Professor, Centre for General Linguistics, Typology and Universals Research (ZAS) and Department for German Language and Linguistics, Humboldt University of Berlin
- 2001-now: Professor and Senior Researcher, Department of Phoniatrics, Pedaudiology, and Communication Disorders, Medical School, RWTH Aachen University (Head: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Chr. Neuschaefer-Rube)
Funded research projects:
- 1993-1996: EU-project ESPRIT-BR-6975 "Speech maps" (main partner: ICP Grenoble)
- 1994-1997: DFG-project KR-1439/2 "Gestural analysis of speech movements"
- 1998-2000: DFG-project KR-1439/5 "Articulatory-gestural analysis and modeling of single words in apraxia of speech"
- 2005-2006: RWTH-Aachen-University-funding for innovation in teaching, Project Kröger: "Interactive speaker model"
- 2005-2007: DFG-project KR-1439/10 "Time-domain simulation of a three-dimensional integrative vocal tract model for articulatory speech synthesis"
- 2007-2009 EU-grant: 133920-LLP-1-2007-1 "European Clinical Specialization in Motor Speech Disorders" (Coordinator: Strathclyde University Glasgow)
- 2007-2010 DFG-project KR-1439/13 "Development of a neurophonetic model of speech production and speech perception"
- 2009-2012 DFG-project KR-1439/15 "Control concept for high quality articulatory speech synthesis of single words"
- 2012-2017 Participation as external researcher in a project of Tianjin University (China): "The Neuro-Physiological Model of Speech Production and Its Control", National Natural Science Foundation of China, Grant No. 61233009
- 2013-2015 Participation in research project "REHA-Vox" (leaded by Prof. Dr. Rüdiger Hoffmann, TU-Dresden)
Awards / Functions:
- 2009: Annelie-Frohn-Preis 2009 of the German Society of Phoniatrics and Pedaudiology DGPP
- 2022: Member of Editorial Board of Frontiers in Language Sciences